WALLCOVERINGS HANDLING TIPS
1) All surfaces to receive vinyl wallcovering must be smooth, clean, dry and structurally sound. Newly plastered walls must not have excessive quantities of lime or alkali. Walls must not contain in excess of 5-7% residual moisture content. A moisture meter should be used to determine moisture content.
2) All new walls receiving wallcovering should be primed to promote adhesion.
NOTE: Many primers are intended for use as a vapor barrier. Use of these primers on wallcovering may significantly reduce the overall permeability of the installation. Use only a breathable primer for wallcovering.
Oil based primers create a non-porous surface, which along with vinyl wallcovering tend to trap moisture, prolong drying and result in adhesion problems.
3) Existing walls present varied conditions. To ensure the soundness of an existing wall surface, we recommend the following:
4) Remove old wallcovering completely. DO NOT DOUBLE HANG. After wallcovering is removed, remove remaining adhesive with a good quality adhesive remover, then rinse the wall and allow to dry. See Step 1. If the old walicovering is peelable, remove both the top and bottom layer of wallcovering.
5) Surfaces other than drywall or plaster may require special procedures and application techniques. Contact your distributor or manufacturer for recommendations prior to starting.
WALLCOVERINGS APPLICATION GUIDELINES
PAPER BACKED WALLCOVERINGS
This type of wallcovering should be installed by applying adhesive to the back of the wallcoverings only Apply a premium grade, full strength, heavy duty clear, strippable, mildew resistant ACM adhesive to the back of the wallcovering.
NONWOVEN BACKED WALLCOVERINGS
This type of wallcovering should be only DRY HUNG by applying the adhesive to the wall surface. Apply a premium grade, full strength, heavy duty clear, strippable, mildew resistant ACM adhesive directly to the wall using a paint roller. Follow the adhesive manufacturer's instructions on coverage and set time in both types of applications
INSTALLING EACH STRIP WITH CARE
Install each sheet on the wall using a stiff, short bristle brush or flexible broadknife. Apply material in sequence above doors and above and below windows as it comes from the roll — DO NOT SKIP. Vertical joints should not occur less than six inches from inside or outside corners.
POST INSTALLATION FINISHING TOUCH
Remove excess adhesive and dirt from wallcovering surface, seams and surrounding surfaces immediately, using sponge or damp cloth frequently rinsed in clean, warm water. Dry with a soft, lint-free cloth. Do not use an excessive amount of water to remove adhesive from seams, as it may seep into the seam and dilute the adhesive. As dried adhesive is difficult, and in some cases impossible to remove, immediate removal is advised. Clean all seams to avoid paste staining.
Empty entire contents of packet at once while stirring water vigorously. Leave for 5 minutes and stir again. The glue will be ready in 20 minutes. 1 packet of ACM adhesive is good enough for 9 rolls of wallpaper.